Foxton News story


04 Aug 2013


N.C.I. (Cambridge) 139 (46.3 overs)  Foxton 212-8 dec. (47 overs)

Foxton duly completed the double this season over bottom club N.C.I. at Churchill College but not before suffering some anxious moments as they took the last wicket required with just 15 balls remaining. Deciding to bat after calling correctly on an uncertain looking surface lacking pace and not conducive to stroke-making with a sluggish outfield they lost Cei Sanderson in the third over caught behind to the bowling of Charlie Sorensen. Captain Gareth Roots then  joined Henry Hunter and a solid stand of 64 laid the foundation for a competitive total. Roots (24) was bowled by Henry Campbell and Chris Pepper followed shortly trapped l.b.w. to James Horne and after 23 overs Foxton were 85-3. Another partnership of 64 from Hunter and James Coe further raised hopes for the visitors of posting an above par total. Hunter with a watchful 63 from 119 balls was then caught by Jake Allcock from slow bowler Robin Thompson. A fifth wicket stand of 36 from Will Wright (10) and Coe further consolidated the Foxton position and the latter was the pick of the batting with a forceful knock of 64 from 73 balls with eight fours before being bowled by Charlie Sorensen returning for a second spell. Several wickets were then sacrificed in the last few overs in the pursuit of quick runs but Tyler Deas (12 n.o.) forced the hosts to concede 13 runs from the final over and Foxton declared their innings after 47 overs on 212-8. Top bowlers for N.C.I. being Charlie Sorensen 3-35 and Robin Thompson with 3-59.
Surprisingly the hosts never appeared intent on chasing down the total as was illustrated in opener Robin Thompson taking 100 balls to score 18. Foxton with their spin bowlers unavailable employed the pace of Andrew Kealy and Jeffery Douglas followed up by the swing of Mark Ferrari and Deas and after 32 overs the game appeared to be heading for a stalemate with N.C.I. at 85-3. 
Foxton captain Roots then decided to turnover his arm and take pace off the ball and this paid immediate dividends as he had the stubborn Robin Thompson (18) stumped by Coe in his second over. Charlie Sorensen with 18 from nine balls was then caught in the deep by Pepper, another scalp for Roots. Douglas then reverted to off spin and immediately bowled James Horne (32) with the second ball of his new spell and Foxton at last glimpsed light at the end of the tunnel. Roots weighed in with another couple of late strikes and it was left to Kealy to bag the last wicket of Pete Allcock trapped leg before, but with only 15 balls remaining it was a tense finish. Roots returned 4-42, Kealy 2-23, Douglas 2-31 with one each for Ferrari and Deas. Foxton with their seventh win on the bounce remain in third place in the table just 17 points behind leaders Wisbech and next week face a challenging home match against second placed Ramsey.
The 2nd XI continued their winning streak with a comfortable 10 wicket home success over Wilbrahams II and remain at the head of their table, next week they visit Barley II.